A couple yummy recipes to welcome back the Goddess of the Hearth…
Kolokythokeftedes (Zucchini and Feta Balls)Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutesTotal Time: 25 minutes Servings: 4
Zucchini, feta and plenty of fresh herbs rolled into balls and fried until light and crispy and golden brown! These zucchini balls are a great appetizer and can be served with tzatziki or marina sauce for dipping.
* 2 cups zucchini, grated and squeezed
* 1/4 cup of feta, crumbled
* 1 splash ouzo (optional)
* 1 clove garlic, chopped
* 2 green onions, sliced
* 1 handful herbs (such as mint, dill and parsley), chopped
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* salt and pepper to taste
* ~1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
* breadcrumbs (I use whole wheat)
* oil for frying
1. Mix the zucchini, feta, ouzo, garlic, green onion, herbs and egg and season with salt and pepper.
2. Mix in enough flour and breadcrumbs that you can work with the mixture to form balls.
3. Form the mixture into balls and dust in flour.
4. Fry in oil until golden brown and set aside to cool.
Moist Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* ½ teaspoon baking soda
* ½ teaspoon salt
* 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
* 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
* 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
* 2 large eggs
* 1½ cups plain low-fat yogurt
* For the drizzle:
* 1 cup powdered sugar
* 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 425. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with cupcakes liners and set aside. Mix flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
* In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat sugar, butter, and lemon zest on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients in two installments, alternating with 3 additions of yogurt. DO NOT OVER MIX, or your muffins will turn out hard and tough.
* Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Don’t be afraid to fill them all the way to the top!
* Bake for 5 minutes at 425, and then lower oven temperature to 375. Bake another 15 to 18 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
* Remove muffins from tin to wire rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle over muffins